Two weeks ago, I returned from leading a 4-man Air Force training team to Colombia to teach high angle rescue techniques to Colombian Air Force helicopter crews and para-rescue personnel. This is Part 8 of the chronicles of my adventurous trip to Colombia…
Day 9 continued … FRIES and SPIES
After we finished practicing snatch-and-grabs this morning, we grabbed some lunch and proceeded to conduct training in FRIES (Fast Rope Insertion Extraction Systems) and SPIES (Special Purpose Insertion Extraction Systems). As the sun was setting, I had a great opportunity to grab some more cool shots. Here are a few:
The flying this afternoon was perfect. The temperature finally cooled down following a hot, steamy day and the jungle was breathtaking as the sun dipped beneath mountains. The lights of Dorada flickered on just a few hundred feet below and I thought about how fortunate I am to be having such an incredible experience.
I can’t wait for water ops tomorrow!
1. A Night in Orlando – Colombia Chronicles
2. Arriving in Bogota - Colombia Chronicles
3. SECDEF, the FARC, and Palanquero - Colombia Chronicles
4. Helicopter Academics - Colombia Chronicles
5. Urban Rescue Ops – Colombia Chronicles
6. Free Fall Skydiving – Colombia Chronicles
7. Snatch-and-grab – Colombia Chronicles